Monday, June 13, 2011

The non-traditional route

I am not following tradition when it comes to a couple of things that have to do with the wedding. I am not wearing a veil...just a flower in my hair. We will not be throwing the bouquet or tossing the garter. But probably the most extreme aspect are the shoes I and the bridal party will be wearing. When I first got engaged a friend told me there was a new trend that brides would wear shoes the color of the bridesmaids dresses. I thought that was a great idea (I've always been very into shoes) and had determined the color would be red. I thought that would look so great with the white dress...the shoes would really pop! Then we changed the color of the dresses to brown...so I thought maybe I should do leopard print. I felt that was going a little too far from tradition but the more I thought about it the more I liked it because I am a big fan of leopard print. Well, then we changed the dresses back to red and I was disappointed that I couldn't do the leopard print anymore. It would just seem too out there. UNTIL...I found shoes that are leopard with red trim. They are platform pumps and the heels, platform and toes are red with the rest leopard. I am somewhat nervous about reactions from people when they see my shoes. I have already had people see a picture of them and respond with disbelief that they were my wedding shoes and someone laughed out loud right in front of me. I know it's different but I think that is what I like so much about it. I've made my shoes very personal to my style and taste. And I won't look like every other bride in the feet area anyway! I also decided to expand this into the bridal party. The bridesmaids will be wearing nude colored shoes with their red dresses and the flower girl I have decided is going to wear bright red shoes. I think it's a great way to mix things up and be different but I do worry that people's reactions to it will be bad. People are surprisingly very vocal about things they don't like in your wedding.

Like I said...I have decided to go a non-traditional route when it comes to the shoes and I just have to take what people say and not worry about it....BUT...just wondering....do you think it's all too crazy? Have you seen something completely different at a wedding and what did you think of it? Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Wendy - It's YOUR wedding! Do what you want and what you like. Anyone that doesn't like it doesn't matter, because true friends will support you no matter what you decide or how off the beaten path it may be. If you are not hurting anyone, WHO CARES what shoes you are wearing! Enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's fine! It's your wedding, do what you want. I wore ballet slippers and then took them off later and I have blue toenails. Who cares what other people think. When you look back at your wedding photos, you will remember the great time you had and how you loved what you wore. Don't worry about what others say. People always feel the need to express their opinions where they don't matter. It'll be worse when you are having kids ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your wedding, do what will make you happy! I wore purple shoes for mine and wouldn't have changed a thing. Love my purple shoes to this day and wish I had more occasions to wear them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the different colored shoes idea!! My bridesmaids will be in green, so my shoes will be some variation thereof. Although I plan to be barefoot after the ceremony though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much. =) I've seen a lot of people do this and I just love it. Colored shoes give your wedding that pop that is so YOU and I love seeing that. Don't worry what other people think, although I'm pretty sure they'll just love it.

    ReplyDelete