Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wrong Dress???

I'm beginning to wonder if I picked the wrong wedding dress. Now don't get me wrong...I absolutely love the dress I chose and can't wait to wear it but it was over what I had budgeted by two hundred dollars and that doesn't include alterations. The problem I have is that the first time I went dress shopping I went to a place that has a ton of dresses and had a whole entourage of people with a bunch of conflicting opinions. As this was my first time out I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I ended up trying on about 10 dresses that day and I think a lot of the options got lost in the maze of dresses. I took pictures and I do remember looking through the pictures and seeing this one dress and remembering how much I liked it when I tried it on but certain others in the group had already decided on what dress they liked and tried to talk me out of any dress besides that one.

When I tried on the dress I ultimately ordered I was by myself and really did fall in love with it immediately. I still look at pictures of myself in the first dress and sometimes wonder if I should have gone with it. It was less than half the cost of the one I did end up getting. Maybe I should just delete the picture and stop looking at it??? Has anyone ever questioned their choice of dress after the fact and if so....do you think you made the wrong decision? I really don't think I made the wrong choice but I could have saved a whole bunch of cash on a dress I may have been almost as happy with. I could say that money shouldn't be a consideration but I certainly wouldn't have spent 10 or 15 thousand on a dress which can be done easily so I guess money really is somewhat of a factor.

3 comments:

  1. If you love this dress then pretend the other one was the same price. How would you feel about it then? I mean you already spent the money. You can always cut on something else if you need that money back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you're going through. When I first started dress shopping, I went with my best friend and ended up tryin on so many I just became confused. I finally gave in and brought my fiancee with me bc I can't make a decision on my own, and she ended up picking a dress out that I hadn't tried, and was over budget. Of course we both fell in love with it, but me being me, I still think about the money I spent. I think I got lucky with alterations, only cost $100.
    We are forced to go out of state to get married, because were lesbians, and so were going to Massachusetts to get married on the beach in cape cod. So things are getting expensive. But I'm trying to justify spending extra on the dress, by wearing it twice, because were having two receptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know the feeling - i tried on a dress and fell in love with it, but i was going to have all these alternations made to it (removing straps, changing the neckline from deep v to sweatheart, building up the back, changing the beadwork, adding buttons all the way down the back....)and it basically became a custom made dress, and i felt like i ordered something without ever seeing it. granted, i saw a sketch, but the sketch looked good on a size 6, not a size 16. i kept thinking i was going to get it in and HATE it but when it came in i loved it.

    ReplyDelete